Monday, October 09, 2006

ONLINE SLANG

Hi everybody, kind of surprised ? This week I am writing my post in english. Once in a while perhaps.

Actually, I would like to share something which I read from a magazine. Instead of translating the whole article into Malay, I think it’s better if I just keep the language so that we can get used with the original terms.

Recent research at the University of Toronto has proposed that online slang demonstrates the creativity and mastery of the languange user. Here are some nifty terms:

EGO-SURFING
:: To search for your own name using a search engine ::
I did this ego-surfing may be once or two. Just to find out if my name would mean anything over the Net. The results? Only 10 sites matched, and all of them got something to do with X-Ray !!!?? Who? Ray Charles? Hehehe…

SCREEN-SAVER FACE
:: A person who looks so bored, it’s as if his brain is on sleep mode ::
What could’ve been worse than watching someone’s face as if you are looking at a computer screen, switched off !!

FAT-FINGERED
:: To make a mistake while typing ::
It seldom happens to me. I don’t type as fast as Mr.Greeny I guess….

PHARMING (pronounced farming)
:: An online hoax where users are tricked into visiting phony sites where their personal
information can be seized ::
We already have ‘phishing’, and now pharming. I wonder what's next, ‘phunting’ (pronounced hunting)? Those who use the Net to attract people for indecent purposes.


MOUSE POTATO
:: An updated couch potato. Someone who parks himself in front of the computer and
surfs for long periods of time ::
Haven’t got plenty of time to surf. Afterall, my neck gets stiff easily, so no mouse potato for me.

GEEKING OUT
:: Spending too much time on your computer. For example, you are geeking out if you check for updates on an online forum every five minutes ::
I would if I could…

OK lah, time to sign off. Leher ku dah mula lenguh…

3 comments:

shafarina said...

:D Wan search jugak nama sendiri. Dan seboleh2 padam apa yg Wan jumpa kecuali pasal blog.

Acid (mojiah709) said...

abgjas,

kudos! wow...very impressive!

ou should write more in English to benefit all those non-malay speaking readers and visitors of your blog.

A piece of good read and very informative. I like the 'screen face saver'...I have seen many such faces at my work place.

Lisa said...

Ha ha ha ha...I of course thought of Joe....in everything!!! Ha ha ha

Free Hit Counter